Choices respects the privacy of each individual with which it comes into contact, either as an employee, a customer in any Choices location, on Choices e-Commerce sites or mobile applications, or as visitor to its website.
When you participate in any of the activities described in this Policy and provide us with your personal information, you consent to how we collect, use and manage your information as explained in this Policy.
Following is an outline of the procedures and policies that we follow to ensure that our practices protect the integrity of your personal information.
2. Privacy Principles
The following is a brief summary of our privacy principles and practices:
- Principle 1 Accountability
We are responsible for personal information under our control and shall designate one or more persons who are accountable for our company's compliance with these Principles.
- Principle 2 Identifying Purposes for Collection of Personal Information
We shall identify the purposes for which personal information is collected at or before the time the information is collected.
- Principle 3 Obtaining Consent for Collection, Use or Disclosure of Personal Information
The knowledge and consent of a customer or employee are required for the collection, use, or disclosure of personal information.
- Principle 4 Limiting Collection of Personal Information
We shall limit the collection of personal information to that which is necessary for the legitimate purposes identified by our company. We shall collect personal information by fair and lawful means.
- Principle 5 Limiting Use, Disclosure and Retention of Personal Information
We shall not use or disclose personal information for purposes other than those for which it was collected, except with the consent of the individual or as required by law. We shall retain personal information only as long as is necessary for the fulfillment of those purposes.
- Principle 6 Accuracy of Personal Information
- Principle 7 Security Safeguards
We shall protect personal information by security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information.
- Principle 8 Openness Concerning Policies and Practices
We shall make readily available to customers and employees specific information about our policies and practices relating to the management of personal information.
- Principle 9 Access to Personal Information
We shall inform a customer or employee of the existence, use and disclosure of his or her personal information upon request and shall give the individual access to that information. The individual shall be able to challenge the accuracy and completeness of the information and have it amended as appropriate.
You may, at any time, make a request in writing to examine your personal information in our care and control. In very rare circumstances, we may be entitled, pursuant to the law, to deny such access. In such circumstances, you will be informed of the reason for denial of access.
- Principle 10 Challenging Compliance
3. How we manage consent
Your personal information may be collected when you: apply for an employment position in-store or online; create an online shopping account; shop for our products in-store or online; request a refund for one of our products; enter a contest or sweepstake; sign up and participate in our Choices Preferred Shopper Card Program; participate in a survey; purchase a Choices Reloadable Gift Card; provide us with comments or suggestions; call our Customer Service or similar contact centers; or subscribe to our newsletters and other programs.
4. Why we Collect, Use and/or Disclose Personal Information
We collect, use and disclose personal information for various purposes:
- a) to develop, offer and provide products and services to meet our customers needs;
- b) to administer our online shopping service;
- c) to communicate with our customers regarding their requests for services or products;
- d) to confirm information provided by our customers and employees;
- e) to detect and prevent fraud;
- f) to improve the delivery of services and products;
- g) to analyze risk and business results;
- h) as may be required or authorized by law;
- i) for the purpose of hiring employees and maintaining employment relationships.
- j) for processing and to assist in day to day business activities and administration.
- k) to contact you in the maintenance of the accuracy of your information in regards to your Choices Preferred Shopper Card/Points.
- l) To contact you in regards to any store contest or promotions that you were automatically entered or any entry forms that were filled out by you (these contests and promotions may include an automatic entry when the card is swiped during a set period of time, without prior notification to the customer).
- m) the information may be used on occasion for the purpose of tracking customer demographics and shopping patterns so that we are able to better understand your needs and how we can improve our products and services.
Without the relevant information, we may be unable to offer or provide products and services to meet your needs. It may also be prudent business practice for us to verify certain information provided by you.
We will not collect, use or disclose relevant personal information without your consent either verbally or in writing or in accordance with the law.
5. How we collect Personal Information
- A. Directly from our Customers
You may provide Personal Information to us at our stores, by mail, email, calls to our Customer Service Call Centre, by registering for or accessing your online shopping account; applying for membership in our Preferred Shopper program, entering into contests or sweepstakes directly controlled and managed by Choices or by its third-party suppliers, and other direct interactions.
- B. Through Technology
Choices technology includes cookies on Choices websites, as well as other data collected from your use of Choices websites and in-store networks. Cookies track browsing activity on a website. Cookies on Choices websites provide Choices with information about your visits to the website and your browsing history.
- C. Through website, social media accounts and mobile applications
Choices will collect the Personal Information you share with us through these applications and/or interactions.
- D. Through closed-circuit television cameras (“CCTV”)
Choices has CCTVs throughout its stores (with some visibility of adjacent public sidewalk and parking lot areas) and retains recordings for risk management purposes. CCTV images may also be used and/or disclosed as part of a police investigation where required by law or a court order.
6. Who we disclose to:
In order to provide services to you, we may share your personal information with carefully selected third-party service providers, such as to fulfill orders (Canada Post, or other delivery companies we or you select); process payments (debit or credit card transactions); send Choices Markets print or e-mail newsletters; maintain our customer database. This information will only be shared with our carefully selected third-party service providers on a confidential basis. These service providers are prohibited from using your personal information for any purpose other than providing Choices Markets services. When you conduct business with third-party providers, such as credit card companies, we encourage you to read their privacy policies to learn how they collect and utilize your personal information.
We also share an online shopping platform with our affiliated business within the Pattison Food Group. When you register for, or begin use of your Choices online shopping account, you will be asked for your consent to us sharing certain of your information with our affiliates within the Pattison Food Group. Your personal information will only be used for Choices account administration and Choices business purposes.
When making purchases using a debit or credit card, we will collect your debit/credit card information in order to process your purchases and may use your information to keep a history of your purchases. When you return previously purchased merchandise or request a refund or exchange, we may ask for your name, physical address, phone number, the card that was used for payment, and a form of identification, such as your driver's license. We collect this information to help prevent fraud. Security measures are in place to protect against loss, unauthorized access, and alteration of the information in our control.
Your personal information may be disclosed for legal purposes, such as in response to a valid court order, subpoena, government investigation, or as otherwise required by law. Choices may disclose or share Personal Information in certain lawful circumstances, including but not limited to the following:
- to parents, caregivers, provincial drug benefit program and/or private health insurance providers and other governmental entities, as permitted by law;
- to government institutions that have proven their lawful authority to obtain Personal Information from Choices; and
- to comply with a subpoena, warrant, or an order made by a court, person or body with jurisdiction to compel the production of Personal Information.
- to your designated individuals or entities as permitted by law.
We reserve the right to report to law enforcement agencies any activities that we believe to be unlawful. We may release certain personal information when we believe that such release is reasonably necessary to protect the rights, property, and safety of others and Choices Markets.
You can withdraw your consent for any particular use of your personal information at any time, subject to legal or contractual restrictions and reasonable notice. Once consent is withdrawn it may not be possible for us to continue to provide you with the service and product of your choice.
If you have any questions, concerns or complaints about privacy at Choices contact the Choices Markets Privacy Officer at:
8188 River Way